Contact the Faculty
Meet our faculty
Businesses across the globe are realizing the importance of integrating sustainability into business practices. Much of the pressure is coming in through various stakeholders, such as the customers, shareholders, and the government. This has created a need for managers in different sectors- public, private and not for profit, to maintain a balance between three pillars of sustainability i.e. people, planet and profits. The MBA in Business Sustainability at the TERI University equips students with acumen to lead in a resource-sensitive world amid increasing competition and concern for sustainable development. Different courses, such as Principles and Concepts of Sustainability, Climate Change and Development, Sustainability Reporting and CSR, Sustainable Business Strategy, Business and Society and Environmental Economics, taught in the programme help the students recognize the need, challenges, and ways to approach long-term viability of businesses through management and optimization of resources without compromising on profitability and competitiveness.
Why Study MBA Business Sustainability ?
India, being one of the world's fastest growing economies, requires optimal utilization of its natural and human resources to generate equitable growth. The future lies with those companies who integrate sustainability into their business practices. Sustainable practices provide companies with better access to markets, finance, and resources and additionally brings with it tax savings and tax benefits. Having management professionals trained in sustainability within the organization not only optimizes business operations, but also generates positive returns to the company.
WHY STUDY AT TERI U ?
This is not just an MBA programme; it is an MBA plus programme, which combines conventional MBA curriculum with new sustainability challenges that have direct impact on a firm's future performance financial and / or otherwise. The pedagogy is based on the principle of combining active learning with a strong conceptual understanding. It comprises classroom lectures, case studies, field visits, term papers, assignments and tutorials. Guest lectures by experts, seminars and discussion forums, and role plays are an integral part of the programme. The learning process is highly participatory and students are encouraged to debate on sustainability principles and practices; brainstorm on multiple solutions for the contemporary sustainability challenges that business organizations of the twenty-first century face, or are likely to face. Additional emphasis is also given on providing ideological and contextual perspectives on the concepts and strategies employed by the businesses and their stakeholders.
In particular, case studies on sustainability issues are integrated into the curriculum. The minor and major projects provide students a relevant context to apply the leanings of the programme. Students are required to complete 6-8 weeks minor project in a corporate house in a functional area of their interest. Apart from this, the students pursue a major Research Project in Semester IV, where students engage in research-based live projects with various companies. These projects provide students with an opportunity to put classroom learning into perspective and focus on sustainability aspect of business.
Where will the Degree Take You?
The University has a dedicated placement cell, which keep the students informed about different career opportunities. Our students are already working in leading public and private sector organisations like:
- Hindustan Petroleum
- Bharat Petroleum
- Indian Oil
- Oil India
- L & T
- India Energy Exchange
List of Visiting faculties
|S.no||Courses||Name of Faculty||Organisation||Designation|
|1||Energy Policy and Management||Dr. O P Rao||Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)||Retd.Scientist|
|2||Business Communications||Mr. Vinay Sharma||Partners India||Management Consultant|
|3||Management Information System||Mr. Vinod Kumar||Microsoft||Formerly Director|
|4||Corporate Governance / Business Ethics||Dr. Santosh Pande||Nihilent Technologies Private Limited||Executive
|5||Consumer Behaviour/Brand Management||Mr. Sanjay Chandwani||Centre for Market Research & Social Development||CEO|
|6||Marketing of Services||Mr Anil Gupta||GVC Ltd.||Director|
|7||Supply Chain Management||Prof. G D Sardana||Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida||Professor|
|8||Entrepreneurship Development and
|Prof. Jay Seelan||Entrpreneurship Development Institute||Professor|
|9||Customer Relationship Management||Mr Anil Gupta||GVC Ltd.||Director|
|10||Community Relationship||Ms. Kanchi Kohli||Centre for Policy Research (CPR)/ NAMATI||Legal Research Director|
Student participation and Achievements
- MBA students won the first place in annual fest 'Aashayein 2014' (Social - Business Plan Competition) conducted by and held in Goa Institute of Management, Goa. The intent of the competition was to develop practical business solutions that could empower and uplift women.
- MBA students won the third place in 'Sankalp 2014 Net Impact Case Study Competition' conducted by and held in Indian Institute of Management, Ranchi. The intent of the Sankalp challenge was to develop an innovative, feasible and a sustainable business proposal, which would be proposed to the Ministry of Rural Development and to corporate houses at IIM, Ranchi.
- MBA students organized the Annual Student conclave, PRAVAAH '14 to bring out original ideas and to ignite young undergraduate minds in areas of Business Ethics and Sustainable Development through a paper presentation and debate.
- MBA students organized the First Annual HR Conclave, ABHIMANTH 2014, for the executives of various companies with an objective of gaining HR perspective on Sustainability.
- Nine MBA (Business Sustainability) and (Infrastructure) students attended and won the debate on the importance of National Voluntary Guidelines and BRR and their role in promoting responsibility and accountability among Indian businesses organized by Business and Community Foundation. The programme was held in partnership with the Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs, supported by GIZ at the India International Centre Annexe in New Delhi, 2014.
- MBA students won ACARA Challenge 2011 (International Social- Business Plan Competition) conducted by University of Minnesota, USA. They won Rs. 2 Lakh for conceptualizing the first ever waterless community sanitation solution for urban slum dwellers in India.
- MBA student co-founded 'Youth for a Cause' - an international network across India, Australia, USA, in 2008 aiming at evolving sustainable solutions for various socio-environmental problems across the world through discussion among youth at a global level.
- MBA students conducted the First Mahindra and Mahindra Sustainability Challenge Quiz for executives of Mahindra and Mahindra in 2011.
- Students became runners-up in Inter-university Chess Competition in 2010.
Vandana Rellan, VP Marketing, MacMillan Indiaread more
Kaustubhi Harit, Senior Analyst, IPE Globalread more
Radhika Kapoor, TERI-Business Council for Sustainable Developmentread more
Grateful for the support provided by
- Department of Personnel and Training, GoI