Dean (Research and Relationships)
HoD and Professor,
Department of Regional Water Studies
Prof. Arun Kansal is the Dean (Research and relationships) and Head of Department of Regional Water Studies at TERI University, India. He received his PhD in Environmental Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi after completing his M.Tech and B.Tech degree in Civil Engineering. He has over 20 years of research/consultancy/teaching experience in the areas of water resource management, waste management with a focus on resource recovery and recycling, urban environment, and energy- environment - climate linkages. He is a recipient of Best Teacher Award from GGS Indraprastha University, India; Best Research Paper Award from Indian Water Works Association, and has received the Roll of Honor by TERI. In his academic career, Prof Kansal has been a visiting Professor (as ICCR Chair Professor from Government of India) to Freie University, Berlin, Germany during 2010-11, an Honorary Senior Research Fellow at the University of Birmingham, UK (2011-14), Visiting Professor at the University of Derby in Natural Sciences (2015-2018) and Key Technology Partner Visiting Fellow at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS), Australia. He also served as a Lead Author for IPCC 5th Assessment Report WGIII.
Honors and Awards- Visiting Professor in Natural Sciences, University of Derby, United Kingdom (2015-18).
- Lead Author IPCC AR5 WGIII.
- Honorary Senior Research Fellow, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom (2011-14).
- Roll of Honor for Research by TERI, New Delhi in 2011-12.
- ICCR Chair Professor to Freie University, Berlin, Germany (October 2010 - Feb 2011).
- TREE fellowship from Renewables Academy, Germany, for course on Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency for Decision Makers.
- I S Kenchareddy prize from `Indian Water Works Association? for publication of best research paper in the year 1996.
- Best Teacher Award from GGS Indraprastha University in recognition of dedicated & outstanding services towards promoting the cause of teaching profession during the year 2000-2001.
Selected PublicationsCarbon dioxide emissions from the flat bottom and shallow Nam Theun 2 Reservoir: drawdown area as a neglected pathway to the atmosphere
Deshmukh C et al.
Biogeosciences 15(6):1775-1794.DOI 10.5194/bg-15-1775,
Understanding public perception, knowledge and behaviour for water quality management of the river Yamuna in India
Tarannum F., Kansal A., Sharma P.
Jr. Water Policy. IWA. Doi 10.2166/wp.2018.134,
Implications of Municipal Solid Waste Management in developing countries on greenhouse gas emissions
Ghosh R and Kansal A
Published by Cambridge Scholar Publishing, U.K. PP 190-202,
The need to ratchet
Srivastava L. and Kansal A.
In Internal cooperation D+C, Germany. 26-27pp,
Working Paper Decentralized Renewable Energy Systems in China, India and Thailand: Assessing the role of Policies and Incentive Structures
Sarangi G. K., Seth R., Kansal A. et al.
ProsPER.Net., Japan. 20p,